Proper Preparation tips for the end of year examinations
Youths can be psychologically well prepared for their examinations by carrying out a handful of proper preparation tips. Njeuke Mathurin a guidance counsellor at Government Bilingual High School Etoug-Ebe gives us tips on how to prepare for examination.
- Organise your study space by making sure that you have enough space to spread your textbooks and notes out. Get rid of all distractions and make sure you feel comfortable and able to focus as possible. For some people, they need everything completely tidy and organised in order to concentrate.
- Use flow charts and diagrams which is very helpful when revising. Closer to the exams, condense your revision notes into one-page diagrams. Getting your ideas down in this brief format can help you to quickly recall everything you need to know during the exams.
- Practice on old exams is the most effective way to prepare for exams. This helps you get used to the format of the questions and makes you spend the right amount of time on each question.
- Organise study groups with friends for a study session. You may have questions that they have the answers to and vice versa.
- Take regular breaks to relax the brain. If you are more productive at night time, take a larger break earlier so you will settle down come evening.
- Eat nutritious foods that have been proven to aid concentration and memory such as fish nuts, seeds, yogurts.
- Plan your exam day well in advance of the exam. Check all the rules and regulations and plan your route and journey time.
- Drink a lot of water in order to be well hydrated for the brain to work at its best. Drink much water during your revision and throughout the exams.