Studying home with a house full of people: Yes, it’s possible!
It is a forceful holiday period due to the outbreak of the Corona virus and as a means to prevent spreading the virus, everybody is quarantined. It is possible studying home with nothing but the birds chirping in the trees for background noise.
- Set expectations with family members. See if you can convince members at home to enjoy some quiet time when you study. This might sound like an impossible task but you never know unless you try. It might help to get creative. For example, you could choose a TV show that members at home can watch with headphones for two hours while you review your notes.
- Focus on your assignment. When you are in a house with so many people, it’s easy to be distracted. Instead see if you can use all your mental energy to focus on the task at hand. If you achieve a deep level of concentration, you’ll find out that the distraction will fade away into the background because you’ll be so absorbed on your assignment. It’s difficult to sustain this level of concentration for a long time but it is possible if you try hard enough.
- Choose easy tasks when you want to study in a house full of people. If you know you are going to be in a house full of people, write an “easy” to-do list for that day. Pick tasks you’ll be able to achieve even if you’re a bit distracted, like emailing your teachers for advice or brainstorming ideas for your next assignment.
- Invest in noise cancelling headphones. If you are in a house full of people and you want to study, a good pair of noise cancelling headphones could be the best investment you'll ever make. The headphones will help drown out the background noise and give you a better comprehension on what you have to do.
- Listen to music. Some music is excellent for studying such as classical music or house music without lyrics. Put your earphones in and drown out the noise with some relaxing Bach.
Study home and stay safe.