Fried rice Camer style
Parampampampam Christmas bells are ringing and fried rice is inevitable on the table. It’s incredibly flavourful, so tasty with the combination of ingredients makes it a first choice of most people. Who doesn’t love a good plate of Fried rice…? Let's get right to it!
- 3 cups long grain parboiled rice
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 bay leaf (Bayleaf is an aromatic leaf commonly used in cooking )
- ½ pound liver
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground thyme, divided substitute with dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon white pepper, divided
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 ½ inches ginger root, peeled
- 1-pound boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup vegetable oil or any neutral tasting oil
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped green beans
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper (from one large bell pepper)
- ½ cup frozen sweet corn rinsed and thawed
- ½ cup frozen sweet peas rinsed and thawed
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 habanero or scotch bonnet pepper
- Place a wide bottom pot on high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pot and swirl around so the pot is evenly coated.
- Add the chicken to the pot and distribute so the chicken is on a single layer. Let it cook for 2 minutes then stir the chicken around. Let it cook for another 4-5 minutes while stirring around to prevent burns. The chicken should be fully cooked and must have gained some colour at the end of this time. Remove the chicken from the pot. Some oil should be left in the pot. If not, add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pot.
- Let the oil heat up for 1-2 minutes then add the diced liver. Let it cook while stirring from time to time until the liver browns but doesn't burn. Remove the liver from the pot.
- Add the remaining oil and heat up. Add the remaining chopped onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add in the garlic-ginger paste and stir so the flavours can bloom. Let the garlic-ginger paste cook in the oil for about 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetables. Add in the carrots and stir for 1 minute. Add the green beans and stir for 30 seconds. Add the bell peppers and stir for 30 seconds. Add the corn and peas and stir for 30 seconds. Add in the green onions and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add seasoning to the vegetables. Add the remaining curry powder, thyme, and chicken bouillon powder. Stir well to combine.
- Add the rice to the pot. Add the rice to the wok in 4 batches mixing everything to combine carefully each time the rice is added.
- Add back the chicken and liver to the wok and stir to combine.
- Add the remaining ¼ teaspoon of white pepper to the rice and mix well to combine.
- Turn off the heat. African fried rice is ready.
- Serve warm with fried plantains and grilled chicken.