FRESH KOKI CORN
It is the ultimate corn dish which is sweet, savory, corny, so tasty and vegan. Koki corn is corn that is ground, mixed with ingredients then wrapped in banana leaves and cooked.
- 4 Cups fresh corn
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- ¾ Cup palm oil
- 1 cup teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup teaspoon salt
- 1 maggi
- ½ Onion
- 1 pepper
- 4 – 6 bananas leaves – warmed over a flame
- Pour palm oil into a skillet to warm for a few minutes (about 2-3 minutes). Do NOT bleach it.
- Pour the corn, onion and hot pepper into a blender or food processor. Add 1/4 cup of water and blend or process into a coarsely ground paste. Note that you do not want to blend this into a fine paste. You should still be able to see bits and pieces of corn when done.
- Pour the ground corn into a bowl, add cornmeal, the heated oil and mix well. Add salt, Maggi then mix.
- Add in the chopped leaves and mix until well incorporated.
- To prepare pot. Line the bottom of a pot with empty cobs of corn. This creates a base that helps prevent water from getting into the Koki Corn. Now pour about half a cup of water into the pot and bring to a gentle boil while you proceed to wrap the Koki Corn.
- When done with wrapping and all the bundles are in the pot, cover them with some more banana leaves (mostly the ones that got torn and were unusable) or aluminum foil. This helps to prevent the steam from escaping during cooking. Place the lidon the pot and cook for about 30 minutes. Every 5-10 minutes, open the pot and add in about half cup of water so it doesn't dry out.
- Let it rest for about 10 minutes when cooked. Then unravel and serve warm.
Enjoy your yummy koki corn!